Sunday, June 26, 2005

i'm changing my license plates

As you read this, please keep in mind that I have a degree, have held a full-time teaching job for two years, live on my own, pay my bills, budget accordingly, and am generally respected for having the mental capacity to screw in a lightbulb without anybody's help. However, on my way to the post office to responsibly mail payments to those companies who have earned my patronage, I first run over the curb with not one, but two wheels. Then, as a sheepishly align my car to the narrow path which leads to the mail boxes, I look in my rearview mirror to see if the woman in the Lexus behind me has a condescending countenance. I cannot tell. Then, as I reach to put my letters in the mail box, I drop all of the envelopes in between my car and the mail box. I am now flustered beyond control and am afraid to look in my rearview mirror to read the Lexus woman’s face. I open the car door to retrieve my responsible payments to those who have earned my patronage, but, because I forgot to put the car in park, the vehicle rolls forward and the slightly ajar car door smacks into the lip of the blue mail box. Fortunately I am only half-way out of the car at this point, and I apply the brakes to prevent the car from hitting the car precariously parked in the middle of the path in front of me. I, with my foot still on the break, bend over to pick up my bills and put them in the mail box. Unfortunately, not anticipating this string of events, I did not replace the Eastern logo on the back of my car with a U of I sticker.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never been to a blog..you are my first. I have so "been there" with your post office ordeal!

Anonymous said...

What a story! Well, we have all done this kind of thing before, though some don't like to admit it. And regarding any shot at anonymity in this small town of ours... I recently visited the drive-thru (don't you just hate that spelling?!) of our local McDonald's, ordering two Whoppers with cheese for my husband. An amused and friendly voice repeated an order for two Quarter Pounders, to which I replied, "Oh, holy mackerel, I'm at the wrong restaurant! You're not Burger King!" (I have often been admired for my astute powers of observation.) After an ever-so-slight pause, the voice laughingly responded: "I love you, Mrs. Brueggemann." Just goes to show you that there's no place in this town to hide from former students -- even when they can't actually see you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the birthday card. You are sweet times a million! :) I hope this finds you doing well.

Jessie S. said...

You are welcome, Bri! I love you times a million!

Jessie S. said...

I love you too, Mrs. Brueggemann!