Wednesday, July 27, 2005

pleasing the parents

My parents are coming tomorrow, and I'm so excited! They haven't been to my place since last summer, and I can't wait for them to see the new things I've added, how I've added a decorative touch here and there, and the way I've arranged the gifts Mom has given me throughout my apartment. Also, they will be able to see my classroom (although it's in pretty sad shape right now), my teachers' lounge, the hallway I walk through at work every day, and the Dr. Pepper machine I frequent.

I'm twenty-five years old and haven't had a report card mailed to my parents since I was in high school. There are no more open house evenings or invite your parents to school days in my life. Yet, it is still important for me to show off where I spend my days to my family. It's important to me for them to see reflections of my work. Instead of good papers and report cards, I excitedly show my mom and dad good evaluation reports from my boss. My mom used to be proud of my clean room (I think that happened once when I was in sixth grade). Now I'm excited she will see vacuumed floors and dusted shelves. That pride that comes from making my parents proud is still a part of me. My parents love me unconditionally, of course. If I struggled at my job, had not vacuumed in six months, and had things still stacked in boxes around my apartment, my parents would still love me. I'm secure in their love. Still, I'm eager to make them proud.

(I hope my dad doesn't look in the shed outside!)

2 comments:

Jessie S. said...

My parents' visit was awesome! Not a single Swigart was in Le Roy on Saturday, so how was the McDonald's?

Jessie S. said...

Fries too salty? I've never heard of such a thing.

Trust me, the last thing Swigarts want is to be inextricably linked to LeRoy.