Sunday, February 05, 2006

I can stand cheering for Pittsburg

I didn't know who to cheer for in the Superbowl tonight. I wasn't at a party or anything; I was just sitting at home grading papers, watching the game for any teachable moments I could add to classroom discussion tomorrow. I didn't know who to root for. I decided that I would rather live in Seattle than Pittsburg, so I thought that was just a good a reason as any to support the Seahawks. However, I later discovered that the white jerseys for whom I was cheering belonged to Pittsburg - not Seattle, but by that time I had already emotionally invested in the Steelers, whether I knew their true identities or not, and I could not abandon them. So, for three quarters of the game I cheered for Pittsburg. Annie Dillard wrote about her childhood in Pittsburg. She spoke of the glory of football, the magical moments of throwing off all hesitation and fear and plunging yourself at the back of someone's legs to bring them down - it was all or nothing - the way life should be. I can stand cheering for Pittsburg.

No comments: