Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Afraid to move

"...an irrestible desire to be irrestibly desired" I can't remember right now where the quote comes from, but it's splashing up against and violenting reacting to my dreams of the freedom to go wherever, whenever, in the pursuit of a life lived recklessly for God. I love Jesus so much, and I want to go wherever He calls, and as His call seems to be pulling me towards full-time ministry, perhaps over-seas, perhaps of an itinerant nature, I can't help but think the devotion to husband and family would prevent me from such ventures. I would put all dreams of husband and children aside for the work God has set aside for me, but, even so, to be irrestibly desired by someone here on earth, someone in the flesh who desires me at the end of the day, to be someone else's one and only - that is a blessing I want, a blessing I covet. I'm not saying Christian service and family life are incompatible. I'm not saying that at all. But, realistically, unless someone's dreams and careers are very closely aligned with mine, I just don't see how it could work. I'm scared to pursue anyone - or allow myself to be pursued - for fear that I will just have to give it up in the end, leaving two people hurt. And even more than that, I fear that I wouldn't give it up even if I knew I should, and then settle for a desire that was less than what God wanted to give me. So, I'm pretty much afraid to move. Is there anyone else out there feeling like this?

1 comment:

Tracie said...

Oh, Jessie! I know exactly what you're talking about! Next time we walk, remind me to tell you what someone once told me about this... Sorry, but it's not really something I want on the blog. I just wanted to let you know you're not alone in this...