Monday, April 02, 2007

Being Right

According to some psychologists, one of the key traits of a first-born child is the need to be right, all of the time. As a firstborn, I want to dispute this theory, yet the possibility that i will be proven wrong deters me. I admit, though, that I like to be right. Who doesn't?

Last week I got home from spring break to find all of my coats (heavy wool to unlined nylon) off of the coat rack and on my bed. I ask my housemate (who is from Florida) about it and she said, "Those are your winter coats; I thought you'd want to put them away." I admit it, I laughed at her. I said, "It's 75 degrees now, but we are still going to need our coats before summer comes!" I tried to explain that there would be several days of 40-50 degree highs before 70's would be a norm. She dug her heel into the ground (well, not really a heel since she was wearing flip-flops) and pledged she was wearing flip-flops now until next winter.

The 70 to 80 degree weather has been wonderful. Yet, 40's are coming back our way, and I wish I wasn't right about still needing my winter coat. And my poor housemate. She's spending Easter in South Bend with a friend. I think they're calling for snow every day of Easter weekend. So, part of me is smug that I was right, but most of me is wishing that i was stupid and wrong. ;(

No comments: