Saturday, August 27, 2005

Respite

My classroom is weighing pretty heavily on my heart right now. I want it to be a safe place for the kids, a place where they feel valued and treasured, a place where they know they have worth and deserve respect. I want that so much for my kids, and I know I have failed to make that reality for kids in the past. 14-year-olds - they sometimes laugh at inappropriate things and occasionally don't consider feelings as much as they should. Or at least it seems like it at times. I don't always notice when someone gets hurt in the process, and therefore I don't hold those responsible for the hurting accountable. I want my classroom to be a safe place; it is my prayer that it would be. It is my prayer that in that room, if only in that room, those kids would know that they have so much value, so much worth, so much to be protected and fought for. I want that so much for these kids. Father God, I pray that would happen.

No comments: