Monday, September 04, 2006

prayer and blogging

My problem with blogging lately has been similar to a common hazard with prayer. I want my blogs to be meaningful and profound. I want the insights to be fresh yet spring up from deep roots. I want the words to be careful, thoughtful, and undoubtedly true. To write in such a way takes solitude, an examining of motives, a guarding against selfishness, and a weighing of word against word, phrase against phrase. Such deliberating requires time. So, I think perhaps I'll have time to sit down tonight and form my thoughts into words on screen. Or, perhaps I'll be more refreshed first thing in the morning. Or, maybe after I study a little while, make my bed, eat lunch, or take a nap. The blogging never gets done.

Such it is in my prayer life. I imagine that I'll have a lengthy block of time later in my day to devote to prayer in which I can inwardly wrestle and quietly listen with and to God's directives for me. Right now while I'm feeling sick or tired or distracted won't do. I'll wait until later when I can do a better job at it. I'll be better at praying later in the day, I think, so I save every petition for that time. Therefore, people don't get prayed for. Situations don't get prayed over. My inward and outward life goes unexamined. Blocks of time for prayer are important, but so are moments. Waiting for the opportune time and inward feeling will not result in frequent and honest prayer. Praying in the midst of the distractions, unfavorable conditions, hurriedness, and just plain unspiritual feeling is far better than trying to take care of the day's checklist first.

I'll try to do a better job a regular blogging. I'll try not to worry about impressing all of you but rather give you my honest feelings and ordinary activities. And also, does anyone need prayer? I'll sit down and lift you up right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if you're taking requests: Pray for my family. There's some really chaotic and dramatic stuff going on right now. We all need some serious healing, wisdom and peace right now. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

i left you a message on your myspace but I'm not sure how often you check it.