Wednesday, December 13, 2006

What would you do?


What is the appropriate response when one of your dearest friends loses her semester project due to a computer crash? I, Person A, smile and laugh, not excessively, but enough to be aggravating. I don't mean to laugh, and I really don't think the situations are funny, but I always laugh in stressful situations involving other people. A friend has a nervous breakdown right in front of me - and I laugh. It's happened!

Person B at our table, in empathy for my dear friend, starts cussing - repeatedly - and loudly - in the seminary community room.

Person C starts retelling a time that it happened to her, and gives instruction on why saving is so important.

Who responded best? I would have to say Person B, though crude, showed the most understanding of my friend's pain. I obviously have something wrong with me because I keep compulsively laughing at other people in crisis. And Person C, well, I think there must be a proverb about Person C.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hmmm...I think my response would've been a nicer version of "Sucks to be you".

And there's a song about laughing at other people's pain in "Avenue Q". It's hilarious (but crude), and you made me think of it. :)

I agree that person B probably had the best response, though it would be best to tone down the language while in a seminary. :)