Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Drama

To quote a good friend of mine, "I'm having drama." I bought a couch and a loveseat today. They are used but very comfortable and sport a neutral, classy cream and tan upolstry. I am overall very pleased with my purchase, thankful that after two years of waiting for just the right opportunity, I was able to aquire a nice-looking couch for a minimal price. The owner even offered to deliver it for me, which is a huge advantage for me in my four-door Cutlass.

But, now I am having drama. My living room finally has had that "feel" that I've been working for. I have no couch, but there are two "cushy" chairs that just happen to be the same color of burgundy, as well as a rocking chair with floral upolstry that complements the rest of the room perfectly. I have a new vertical chest displaying my favorite pictures, treasured old books, and the nick-nacks and momentos meaning the most to me, and the hope chest I received for my 16th birthday sits along the opposite wall. Somehow (I don't know how), but somehow, it has finally taken on the warm, comforting atmosphere I love to come home to. So, now what am I going to do with these couches? Where am I going to put them? Then, where will I put my vertical chest? What about my hope chest? Which "cushy" chair will have to go the extra bedroom? Will the cream and tan wash out the room while the burgundy helped to add color? Yes, I am having drama.

I remember the first time someone told me that I don't deal well with change. If I hadn't had enormous respect for the person who told me, I probably would have laughed at her. Change? I'm fine with change! Well, I guess I'm not. I'm already mourning my old living room, when I know that the couches will make it so much easier to entertain, have small groups, etc... I know the couches will probably make it even "homier" than it is now. Yet still, I greive the loss, even though it is being replaced by something better. I need a new study Bible. The pages are starting to fall out of my old one, and, it being a life application Bible, I would really rather have a more in-depth study Bible anyway. I wouldn't even have to buy it myself; I'm sure my mom would get it for me for Christmas if I asked her. But, I hate change. I've had that Bible since my freshman year of college. It's been through a lot with me. I don't want to let it go. I could go on.

If you are used to reading my writing, you are probably expecting the metaphor about now. I resist change, but it usually turns out being better than before, yada yada... I know you know that. I know you know about risk, letting go, shedding tears over the old (well, maybe not a living room) and embracing the new. I just have to stand back and laugh at myself sometimes.

Yes, I'm still getting the couches. I usually do go through with the changes that are before me. Just smile at me if you see me hesitate though. It might encourage me a little bit, and I won't be as tempted to look back. You can be sure I am coming. I'm coming; I really am.

1 comment:

Jessie S. said...

Curtis! It's great to hear from you. Thanks for commenting!