Sunday, January 22, 2006

Wonderful Rejection

I just got rejected in the most wonderful way this weekend. A guy is doing something right when he makes a girl feel better about herself during and after he tells her he doesn't want to spend more time together than before. I've been talking to, e-mailing, seeing a little of, a guy for the past month and a half or so - since around Thanksgiving I guess. We seemed to have a lot in common, He loves the Lord with all his heart, and conversation between us was easy yet meaningful. He recently came to the regretful realization that there was still healing work to be done in his heart from a past relationship, and he wants to call it quits for awhile, and who knows if our paths will ever cross again. I believe him about the past relationship, and I respect his decision to not go forward if he believes his heart is still attaching itself to something in the past. The reason I believe him is that he treated me with the utmost respect during this entire month and a half. He treated me with reverence - he knows I'm the daughter of a king, and he treated me as such. Therefore, when he wanted to stop spending time with each other and he told me it would not be right for him to string me along, I did not feel like he was making things up to make me feel better. His rejection was consistent with his asking me out in the first place, it was done with respect, with a little fear, and with my well-being in mind. I actually felt better about myself after he rejected me - or at least it did no harm to my self-esteem. I left the conversation feeling valued and of priceless worth. Of course, I know it can't be this way all the time. After all, I only knew the guy for almost two months and was cautious and respectful the entire time. However, I think this, "I don't think we should hang out anymore," was one of the most encouraging experiences I have ever had! This guy just raised the bar. Good for him.

No comments: