Monday, May 08, 2006

My mom makes me laugh

My mom is a school librarian. I love her emails...

May 5, 1:27 PM
"Well, I hope you are all having perfectly peaceful afternoons! As for me, I was just getting started on the ageold story of the Blind Men and the Elephant with kindergarteners when Dylan jumps up screaming at the top of his lungs, "I lost my tooth. I lost my tooth."

Normally when this happens, I just tape the tooth to an index card so it does not get lost and have them stick it in a pocket. But not Dylan. No, Dylan keeps screaming at me to "Put it back in. Put it back in. I don't want to lose my teeth. I don't want to lose my teeth. My mom will be mad if I come home without a tooth!" Now he is sobbing uncontrollably

Being a very empathetic group of kindergarteners, two or three also start sobbing because Dylan is sobbing. Then two others become somewhat distraught because they are scared their teeth might start falling out in some sort of twisted oral pandemic affecting LeRoy six year olds.

I go to get a kleenex for Dylan and the entire class follows me across the room alternately crying, yelling, some begging to see the empty spot in Dylan's mouth - which further heightens Dylan's terror -etc.

Luckily Tricia appeared, a miracle to be sure, and whisked the tooth out of the room seconds before total anarchy broke out.

Hope you all are having a lovely afternoon!"

No comments: