Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Strong and Courageous

Be strong and courageous. Be strong and very courageous. Love God's law. Meditate on God's law day and night. Do not be terrified. Do not be discouraged. Be strong and courageous.

I'm reading Joshua right now. When the spies hid at Rahab's home, she told them that when her city heard about the Hebrews' escape from Egypt and their victories since, their courage failed because they knew that the Lord, the maker of the heavens and the earth, was with the Hebrews as their Lord, their God. The Cannanites knew enough that their courage failed when they saw the Lord against them. Why was it that the Israelites could not muster enough courage even though they knew the Lord was with them? The Lord is with me. Why is it that my courage fails? The Lord is not against me - if so, then I should be afraid. But, no, the Lord is not against me; He is with me. I should be strong and courageous.

I'm nervous about the fall. I have resigned from my job as a teacher. I have gone back into school a couple of times since the summer began to clear the last few things out of my room and to gather what I needed from the computer. Walking into that building has hurt. I walk back into the cave where my and Jane's rooms are, and I think of how wonderful it was to teach with Jane just across the hall. I think of how wonderful it was to be part of a team of individuals who were dedicated to provided the best opportunities for the students. I wonder why I have given up a noble profession and an ideal environment in which to carry out that profession.

I need to hold on to what I believe was God's communication to me that although what I'm doing is good, it is not best in terms of where He wants me. I need to have courage that moving, new faces, and new challenges will not overwhelm me. I need to have faith that God will provide where I cannot manage, and the fact that God is with me is the source of my courage, my strength.

Be strong and very courageous.

No comments: